From Stadtwiki Baden-Baden
The Goetheplatz (in the early 19th century part of the Promenadeplatz, from 1891 till 1945 Theaterplatz, temporarily Adolf-Hitler-Platz, since 1949 named after Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) is the city square at the corner Lichtentaler Allee and Werderstraße in front of the Theater Baden-Baden. It marks the beginning of the Lichtentaler Allee and the Museum Mile.
The square is limited and dominated by the buildings Haus Pagenhardt, the Theater and the Kurhauskolonnaden. To the east, the square is limited by the river Oos. At its center there is a lawn with a large flower bed. In front of the Haus Pagenhardt the sculpture Philemon and Baucis is located since 2011.
The Goetheplatz was redesigned in the years 2010 and 2011. The goal was to make the square pedestrian-friendlier and mor attractive. The concrete slabs and concrete curbs were replaced with natural granite stones and thus adapted to the flooring of the Fieserbrücke and the Kurhauskolonnaden. Next to the Theater stairs retractable bollards should prevent the general passage of vehicles in the future. The lighting concept was revised. New lights in the historical style were added and the illumination of the theater building was modified. The lawyer Rolf Metzmeier supported the 300,000 euro construction prohect. Mayor Werner Hirth stressed that this project wouldn't have been possible without Metzmeier's private donation. The completion of the renovation was marked by unveiling the art work Philemon and Baucis of the Baden-Baden artist Karl Manfred Rennertz in front of Haus Pagenhardt on 20 May 2011.